Saturday, March 12, 2011

Audio/Video

YouTube is an excellent video sharing tool.  I have had an account for a while, but I have never actually uploaded anything of my own.  For my purposes, the main benefit of having an account is to be able to subscribe to other channels.  Some of the channels I subscribe to include TEDxTalks, The Rick Mercer Report, The Hour, NFB.ca, IFC, The Ellen Show, The New York Public Library, The Vancouver Public Library, etc.  It's just another way to stay informed (and entertained) - kind of like subscribing to more dynamic RSS feeds.  It is definitely a useful tool to promote library services.  I just subscribed to the Learning Commons channel, but it looks like I'm only one of four subscribers so far.  In other news, here is a lovely Kathryn Calder video:



Now, what can I say about podcasting.  I use iTunes, and I have downloaded a few podcasts here and there, mostly via CBC.  Some of my favourite podcasts include DNTO (with Sook-Yin Lee), CBC Radio 3 (with Grant Lawrence), Q (with Jian Ghomeshi), and The Bottom Line (with David Suzuki).  I subscribe to the RSS feeds of these and other podcasts using Google Reader, and I just added a few feeds to my blog as well.  Here's a podcast on what it's like to ride the bus:  DNTO is on the bus.  Like some of the people interviewed in this podcast, I sometimes find myself engaging in a sociological experiment when I ride the bus.

1 comment:

  1. That's a good point about youtube channels being like dynamic and entertaining RSS feeds. And thanks for the other podcast ideas - I mostly listen to Q on the bus!

    ReplyDelete